When I think of summer, I immediately think of caprese salad. Grilled chicken sandwich on a pretzel roll is a fun take on the classic summer salad, with chicken marinated in balsamic vinegar and italian dressing, vine-ripened tomatoes, basil and pesto, and a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. It is even better with a drizzle of nice aged balsamic vinegar glaze!
This recipe contains such simple ingredients but when put together create an explosion of light summery flavors perfect for an alfresco dinner party or a simple summer supper.
Start off by preparing your chicken. I bought thin sliced chicken breast so it would fit nicely onto the pretzel rolls. If you can’t find it you can slice and pound your chicken into thin pieces. You can also use any cut of chicken you like! I think that chicken tenders, or boneless skinless chicken thighs would work well in this chicken caprese sandwich recipe. To grill the chicken I just marinated my chicken with a combo of Italian dressing and a bottle of balsamic vinaigrette for about 30 minutes. Then I used an indoor grill pan to get those sear marks.
Next prepare your toppings. A traditional caprese consists of fresh tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and a balsamic glaze. To make the sandwich I added pesto spread thinly onto the buns and a topping of arugula for more crunch.
- 4 thin sliced grilled chicken cutlets
- 4 Pretzel Rolls
- 1-2 tablespoons pesto
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 vine ripened tomatoes sliced
- Fresh basil
- 1/4 cup argula
- 1-2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar gaze
- Slice the pretzel buns and toast until lightly golden brown
- Prepare your chicken as desired
- After the chicken is done, spread a thin layer of pesto on the bottom bun next add a piece of grilled chicken
- Top the chicken with the mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil and arugula
- Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze, and add the top roll
- Serve while still warm.
I hope you get a chance to make and enjoy this recipe! If you do, I would love to hear about it in the comments. Nothing makes my heart swell like hearing that others enjoyed my recipe as much as we did! Happy eating!